The waters flow from the crest to the sea, losing elevation but gaining time. The Cascade Crest – Mt. McLaughlin and Mt. Mazama, the twin sentinels of eastern approaches – is youthful, vigorous, brawny … and obvious. Flowing west into the Heart of the Knot, the great river is swallowed by the primal land, itself obscured by the mists of time. Geologists call it “The Klamath Knot,” a landscape so complex, convoluted and chaotic as to appear almost indecipherable; either dream or nightmare, depending upon the voyager… Charles Lane
What makes us so Wild about the Rogue?
Running Blossom Bar Rapid clean.
Little Green Herons
The stripes of a wild steelhead buck.
The maggots crawling in a dead, spawned out Chinook Salmon on the bank.
Watching an osprey circle, stall, dive, and catch a fish, only to be chased, harassed and bullied by a Bald Eagle who ultimately steals the Osprey’s fish.
The healing of the river where the dams have come out.
It’s the Mountains!
The volcanic Cascades meet the wild Siskiyous.
It’s the River!
212 gorgeous, winding miles from Crater Lake to the Pacific Ocean.
It’s the Forests!
Old Growth trees. Thirty conifer species: more than anywhere else in North America.
It’s the Native Fish!
Only the much larger Columbia River Basin has more wild salmon than the Rogue.
It’s the Rapids!
The Rogue River is one of the 8 original Wild & Scenic Rivers.
It’s the Public Lands!
Over 2 million acres to hunt, fish, ride, drive, walk, hike, bike, ski, saw, prospect, and float.
It’s the Diversity!
Nowhere else will you find such a rich combination of landforms, ecosystems, and microclimates in such a compact area.
It’s the People!
The Rogue Basin Partnership brings 20 member organizations from across the Basin to work collaboratively and make the outdoors a better place for all that love and depend upon it.
It’s all of the above!
- Mt. McLoughlin, Little Mountain 5, CC BY-SA 3.0, unedited
- It’s the Mountains! Little Mountain 5, CC BY-SA 3.0, unedited
- It’s the River! Jason Jaacks, Open Rivers Fund
- It’s the Forests! Kyle Strauss, Strauss Ecological Services
- It’s the Critters! Robert Warren
- It’s the Native Fish! Jason Jaacks, Open Rivers Fund
- It’s the Rapids! Bureau of Land Management
- It’s the Public Lands! (Vesper Meadows)
- It’s the Diversity! (Table Rock)
- It’s the People! Rogue Basin Partnership
- It’s all of the Above! Gregory Weber
- Bridge over Rogue at Gold Beach, ©Bob at Bridge Ink.